Sunday, July 3, 2011

Provision

Accidents happen. Or so experience has taught me. When building houses in the Philippines with rebar, concrete, and 40 pound hollow block, this statement remains ever true. One of my team members, while carrying a bag of rocks, dragged the top of his foot across a hollow block. The cut was not too bad, all he needed to do was keep it clean. Unfortunately, this did not occur. Across the next few weeks, I would glance at his foot every now and again, reminding him to keep it clean with a band aide. Yet yesterday, upon waking up, the injured foot was swollen, and I knew the cut was screaming the word "infection!"

In my head, I was already trying to lay out a plan and schedule where and when we could find a private doctor's office to get antibiotics prescribed. I knew I wanted to take him to a place where nosocomial infections would not be an issue. Through all these hasty thoughts, God reminded me of a 2 new believers down the street. A few nights ago, Dexter and Abigail had become believers in Christ through a Bible study. But Abigail is no normal Filipino - she is a BSN RN, speaks English, and is certified to practice nursing in California. What better person to go to!

After our full days schedule, we finally walked the muddy road to their house, giving a good "Ayo!" to let them know we wanted to come in. After Abigail looked and cleaned, she confirmed it to be a soft tissue infection. When I asked her if she knew a Doctor who would prescribe the antibiotics, she looked at me with an intrigued face. "I will have Dexter go to the pharmacy and pick up a pill of the right antibiotic, so you will know what to buy." No doctors appointment, no paperwork, nothing. Because of her knowledge in the medical field, she was able to tell us exactly what we needed to buy.

I had realized this was nothing short of God's provision, but He was not done teaching me yet. I continued to pour out gratitude to Dexter and Abigail, telling them how much of a blessing they had been to us! Dexter's next words, translated by his wife, will never be forgotten. "We are brothers and sisters in the same faith. Its no problem at all."

This touched deep within my heart. You see, there are many who cry out "Lord, Lord!" There are many who will say the prayer of the gospel, but few who mean it. This statement encouraged and reassured me of Dexter's and Abigail's genuine faith in Christ. They did not just enjoy hearing Bible studies from white Americans - they got it. They truly know and understand what it means to live as Christ would. As my teammate and I walked back home dodging puddles and ditches, my heart was lifted with love. Our God truly is the the provider, sheltering us and encouraging us in a time of storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment