Saturday, June 25, 2011

He is Able

It was an average day in the Philippines. My team and I had gone into Butuan City to pick up groceries for the week, and a teammate and I were standing in a hall of the store. Just two normal guys, right? Not here in the Philippines. You see, when girls (and even guys) see us, they may whisper or shout out, "Guwapo!" This means handsome. The Filipinos love white people, and even sell body lotion that will cause you to be lighter. My Scottish/Welsh decent only increases my popularity.

While we were standing in the hall, I noticed two girls who were working in a cellphone shop. They were looking our way, and they wanted each other to go and talk to us. While I attempted to glance around casually, I see one of the girls trying to push the other one out in our direction. I have never received this much attention in my life! People see us as Americans, and they want to be just like us; from the clothes they wear to the American songs they play. To them, we are kings.

Men rising into popularity is no new story at all. In the lifetime of the prophet Daniel, King Nebuchadnezzar was such a man. One could say power was his right hand and prestige was his left. His kingdom expanding, his might unequivocal - or so he thought. As he walked on the roof of his palace, these prideful words escaped his mouth. "Is not his the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?" Then a voice from heaven spoke the judgment over the King which Daniel had interpreted through a dream. Nebuchadnezzar 's splendor and glory was taken away from him, and he would be driven away from man, eating grass like the ox until seven times pass, and he would acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all the kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes.

After all had come to pass, these words came from the most powerful man on earth.

"At the end of the days I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High, and praised and honored him who lives forever,
for his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
and his kingdom endures from generation to generation;
all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing,
and he does according to his will among the host of heaven
and among the inhabitants of the earth;
and none can stay his hand
or say to him, "What have you done?"
Daniel 3:34-35

How powerful is the Lord! Even the arrogant cannot defy the glory of the Lord. But it is in verse 37 I find a warning. "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble."

Even though I am in a place where I am the popular guy, the rock star, the king, I cannot be prideful. My life has been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives within me. I am nothing more than a bond servant, a slave for the sake of Jesus. As John the Baptist said, "He must increase, but I must decrease." We are here in a foreign land speaking the gospel of Jesus, so His glory may be known among the nations. May I never forget this underlying truth, admits the smiles, stares, and attention. For those who walk in pride, He is able to humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment