Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chronicles of the First

We serve a huge God. A God not built by human hands, a God who loves us, and a God who has sent us out to share His love. Here are the stories from Day 1 of being on our (my teams) part of the field. Acts 3:12 "Men of Israel, why does this surprise you? Why do you stare at us as if by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk?” May God always receive the glory. [and im having an AWESOME and FUN time here!!]


My first real day. Well, as in doing what I will be doing for the rest of the summer. We are all split into our teams of 3 (until the HS inters arrive), and today was Amanda, our student leader, day off. So Melanie and I get to hop the trains from Shibuya to our mission site at Tachikawa. It was a really good trip, even if we caught the slow metro. While in line at Shibuya, I looked behind us, and there was a girl who was looking at a folded piece of paper, and I saw english words on it. Perfect!


I was able to ask her if she was studying English, and thus start the conversation. She was going to school 7 days a week only for English. Even though she has only been learning for 3 months, her comprehension and her ability to understand was astonishing. Melanie was able to give the girl her contact information. We then eventually made it to the right station to meet our missionaries, Julia and Martin. They are an older couple who have lived in the area for 8 months, and they are amazing! We distributed Hope packets, which they could mail in for a free DVD about Christianity (which is very cool movie indeed). We then rode the tram across the town (45 minutes round trip) to pray for the city and the people. On the way back, a young Japanese guy sat by me, and we engaged in conversation. He knew nothing of Christianity, but was so interested. Even to the point where I brought out the books of Luke and Acts in English and Kongi, he excitedly said “Is that the Bible?” I was able to get his information, and left him with a Hope tract that he could fill out to send in for a Hope DVD. I was so happy for what God had done! After an awesome lunch and exploration of the station, we began 5 minute English.


This is where we hold signs which say 5 minute English, written in Kongi and English, so the Japanese can read it. We also put it is free. So we stand there, asking people who walk by if they would like to practice their English. It took awhile, for the Japanese are a shy people, but I had 3 conversations while we were doing it. First girl was flirting with me. Or so Melanie claimed. But she received a Hope track from me, so ha. I win.


The second person I talked to was an older gentlemen, who after reading the sign, asked me for the number of the university so he could become a teacher there. I explained to him how we were not from the university, but how there were 20 of us college kids around Tokyo, who were all Christian, who wanted to make Japanese friends and share our faith (the word religion is more commonly understood there, so I use it more) with the people we meet. He was a religious Buddhist who was going to a cleansing ceremony tonight, but was greatly interested in talking to be about the differences of our faith. I throughly explained to him how we would have a discussion, and not a debate. He gave me his number, and I hope to meet with him on Sunday! Pray for the conversation!


The third person I met was the best. He was a student in America for a year, and loved to practice his English. But as the conversation turned to why I was here, and eventually to Christ, this man was a clean slate. No religion, because he was too busy. Then we began to talk about why we work - to get more money. To buy things that in the end, do not make us happy. To re-cap the entire conversation would be next to impossible. But we spoke of many topics of Christianity, and I was able to give him a Hope tract (I hope to bring him a hard copy of the DVD when I go to meet him) and I gave him the gospel of John in his own language. After I had spoken of Jesus for a while, he said he has seen “The Passion.” Thank you Lord. I told him how the story was real. And he could hardly take it in. I hope to meet with him sometime soon, I have his information, and he will text or call me. Pray for him and the conversations we will have in the future!


Pray for what has already happened, what is happening, and what is to come. From ancient work to predestined appointments, God is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment